All of our programs are designed to cultivate kids’ aspirations and to foster their academic, social, and physical development.
GOLF & LIFE SKILLS
Since our founding in 1994, we have used the game of golf to engage kids in positive behaviors during out of school time and to help them develop the character they need to be successful. We couple golf instruction with a curriculum designed by The First Tee that teaches kids life skills – like how to introduce yourself to someone new or what to do when you get angry or frustrated – and core values like respect and honesty. Our team of PGA members and apprentices offer classes after school and on weekends at our par-3, 6-hole Honors Course presented by TaylorMade (Oceanside) and par-3, 18-hole Colina Park Golf Course (City Heights). Staff also delivers in-school programming during P.E. periods at partner school. Learn more about our golf program here.
Pro Kids formally began offering academic support to kids with the construction of our first 8,000 sq. ft. Learning Center in 2001. Professional staff grew to include credentialed educators and programs evolved to include individualized academic support, vocational field trips, and more. Building on our previous academic offerings, we launched Pro Kids Academy at both campuses in fall 2015 to serve kids in grades 2-7. (By 2022, the Academy will serve elementary through twelfth grade.) An attendance-based program, the Academy assigns kids to teams named for their graduation year (e.g., Class of 2022) with designated Team Leaders. Enrollment requires parents’ active participation. A typical Academy month includes literacy and math enrichment activities, golf lessons, experiential learning (STEM), field trips, and community service projects.
The Academy’s more structured academic program helps kids to:
- Achieve grade-level proficiency in reading and math
- Grow interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) studies
- Develop skills like resilience and self-sufficiency
For more information about Pro Kids Academy, contact:
college & Career prep
We offer our high school members comprehensive college and career prep programs, including homework support, tutoring, SAT prep classes, college visits, vocational exploration field trips, and personal development workshops. Eligible students are also invited on our annual road trip to explore colleges outside of the region.
Through collaboration with community partners, we provide access to the following:
- The Blanchard Institute’s Student Situational Self-Leadership training helps members become problem solvers and better understand their personal strengths, ultimately taking more responsibility for their own growth. (Freshmen and Sophomores)
- PwC’s Earn Your Future financial literacy training is designed to equip teens – especially underserved teens – with the basic financial skills needed to succeed in life. (Juniors)
- Reality Changers’ College Apps Academy program helps students develop personal statements, submit applications on time, prepare for interviews, and more. (Seniors)
For more information about the College and Career Prep program contact:
Said Shaba, College & Career Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org