Pro Kids | The First Tee of San Diego
Youth Development Leader- Middle School
POSITION TITLE: Youth Development Leader- Middle School
SUPERVISOR: Program Director, Oceanside
STATUS: Full time, Non-exempt
SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday (1:00- 6:00 p.m.); Occasional weekends
SALARY RANGE: $13-$17/hr.
CLOSING DATE & TIME: 08/03/2018 at 6:00 PM PST
Founded by former AFL/NFL player Ernest H. Wright, Sr. and incorporated as a 501(c)(3) public charity in 1994, Pro Kids, The First Tee of San Diego, is a leader in providing underserved youth in San Diego County opportunities through positive, life-changing experiences. Pro Kids challenges youth to excel in life by promoting character development, life skills, and values through education and the game of golf.
Pro Kids | The First Tee of San Diego is a committed community of excellence through our shared values of:
- Perpetual Growth
- Building Community
- Good Stewardship
- Compassionate Communication
- Embracing Challenge
Pro Kids | The First Tee of San Diego has two primary program campuses in City Heights & Oceanside.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Site Program Director, the youth development leader will assist Pro Kids in accomplishing its mission by providing individual and group tutoring to members, supporting enrichment workshops, serving as a role model, and supporting the Site Program Director in implementing educational interventions that inspire students to learn. Additionally, the team leader will lead a group of up to 20 members daily. The team leader will be responsible for parent and family communication, collection of test scores and grades, team building, attending local community outreach events, arranging golf instruction with the Pros, leading celebrations, and participating in team field trips.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide tutoring and mentorship to students:
- Assist students in achieving their academic goals by providing tutoring and scholastic guidance during out of school time
- Work with the Site Program Director to oversee reading and writing interventions for students
- Collaborate with the Site Program Director to locate additional educational resources intended for middle school students
- Track and record attendance and academic progress
- Develop enrichment workshops that inspire confidence and creativity
Provide general support in the Learning Center:
- Maintain an atmosphere of hospitality, visibility within the Learning Center, and setting examples of our core values through daily interaction with members, staff, volunteers, community-based organizations, and other stakeholders
- Working with other program staff, maintaining the policies and procedures of the Learning Center, general rules of conduct, and following-through with disciplinary action as necessary for our members
- Support academic developmental goals for students by ensuring the accuracy of data collection in a timely manner
- Monitor behavior issues and report all concerns directly to the Site Program Director
Other areas of responsibility:
- Participate in staff meetings and other programming, as needed, to ensure the success of Pro Kids; meetings may occur outside of regularly scheduled work hours
- Become familiar with the sport of golf through shadowing experiences with Pro Kids pros/golf staff
- Communicate via e-mail, telephone, and mail, acknowledging and sending correspondence in a professional, timely manner
- Represent Pro Kids at community outreach opportunities
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Completed or working towards a bachelor degree (preferably in English, education, liberal arts, or other related areas) or have earned equivalent work experience
- Minimum of six months experience in tutoring/mentoring youth
- Knowledge in reading and writing teaching techniques
- Experience working with a diverse community of children
- Effectively work with youth, staff, volunteers, parents, educators, and community-based organizations
- Ability to regularly communicate with Pro Kids’ family members and staff
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Exhibit proficiency in basic computer skills, including e-mail and word processing
- Provide attention to detail and proactive communication
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) highly desirable
- Have ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines
- Comply with organizational policies regarding driving record
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Position may require standing, walking, and sitting. Position involves use of a keyboard involving repetitive motions with fingers, and the use of telephone and face-to-face communication that require accurate perception of speech as well as speaking and hearing. Position also requires close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Activities regularly take place in office/classroom setting but may occur outdoors on golf course, field, or other irregular locations for field trips and workshops. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with different abilities to perform the essential functions.
Qualification and Training Requirements (within 30 days of employment)
- Completion of Child Abuse Prevention training
- CPR, First Aid; AED Certification
Prior to reporting to work
- Clear background check
- Clear DMV record check
Pro Kids provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Viri Mendoza at email@example.com.